Catholic Benedictine Heritage
Mount Marty College is a Catholic Benedictine center of higher education founded in 1936 in Yankton, South Dakota, by the Benedictine Sisters of Sacred Heart Monastery, who continue to sponsor the institution. The College was named after Bishop Martin Marty, a Benedictine missionary who came to Dakota territory in 1876 to minister to Native Americans. Bishop Marty valued education and invited the Benedictine Sisters to join him in providing educational opportunities for the Native Americans.
As a Catholic Benedictine institution, Mount Marty College is a community of teachers and learners rooted in mutual respect and the Gospel message of love and care.
Mount Marty College expresses an important element of its Catholic Benedictine identity through ministry, leadership, and service.Our Commitment
Mount Marty College is committed to:
- Carrying out the Catholic Benedictine tradition of higher education
- Enhancing the Catholic intellectual and spiritual legacy
- Excelling in all education programs
- Forming leaders prepared for responsible local and global citizenship
- Promoting the personal growth of students, faculty, and staff
- Engaging the community in good zeal and mutual respect
- Providing opportunities for ministry and service
- Ensuring responsible stewardship of resources
- Cultivating an appreciation for human and cultural diversity, social justice, and rural heritage