Our History & Timeline
The History of Mount Marty College
Mount Marty College is a Catholic, Benedictine, coeducational institute of higher learning founded in 1936 by the Sisters of Saint Benedict of Yankton, South Dakota. The college is named in memory of Martin Marty, a Benedictine missionary to the Indians who came to Dakota Territory in 1876, became the Territory's first Catholic Bishop, and who invited the Benedictine Sisters to establish a religious community in Yankton.
The college functioned as a junior college for women for 15 years; in 1951 it awarded its first Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees. In 1969, the college became coeducational. Associate of Arts degree programs were introduced in 1975 in areas compatible with already existing programs. Graduate study was begun with the first Master of Science degree awarded in 1983 and the first Master of Arts degree awarded in 1999.
In keeping with the Benedictine tradition, the college exists as a community of learners. Primary emphasis is placed on the development of each person as a complete human being with intellectual competence, professional and personal skills, and a composite of moral, spiritual, and social values.
The mission of the college is renewed year by year in the framework of Benedictine tradition, the apostolate of the Catholic Church, the goals of American higher education, and the educational needs of men and women of this region.
Mount Marty College determines its general policies and objectives in the context of its original charter, historical development, educational needs of the region, and the professional goals of the entire college staff. The Benedictine Community of the Sacred Heart Monastery is the sponsoring agent of the college; the Board of Trustees is the final governing board of the institution itself.
|1905 -||Sacred Heart School of Nursing founded at Sacred Heart Hospital|
|1922 -||Mount Marty Academy opened|
|1935 -||Cornerstone of Bede Hall laid|
|1936 -||Mount Marty Junior College began on July 3 with the teaching of physics|
|1950 -||Bishop Marty Chapel consecrated|
|1951 -||Mount Marty College became a four-year baccalaureate degree granting institution|
|1955 -||Whitby Hall and Marian Auditorium opened|
|1961 -||Mount Marty College received North Central Association accreditation|
|1964 -||Sacred Heart School of Nursing closed; nursing students enrolled in Mount Marty College's four-year Baccalaureate nursing program|
|1966 -||Corbey Hall opened|
|1966 -||Mount Marty High School moved to the new building (Old Library Building)|
|1967 -||First meeting of the Board of Trustees for the newly incorporated Mount Marty College|
|1967 -||Roncalli Center completed and opened|
|1969 -||Mount Marty High School closed|
|1969 -||Mount Marty College became co-educational|
|1971 -||Mount Marty College became the first school in the nation to offer a baccalaureate degree in anesthesia|
|1972 -||Branch location opened at Harmony Hill Education Center, Watertown, S.D.|
|1981 -||New Sacred Heart Hospital completed|
|1983 -||Master Degree program started at Mount Marty in anesthesia|
|1988 -||New Mount Marty College Laddie E. Cimple Arena completed|
|1989 -||Mount Marty began offering courses at the Yankton Federal Prison Camp at the site of former Yankton College|
|1991 -||Mount Marty's enrollment goes over 1000 for the first time|
|1997 -||Master's Degree Pastoral Ministries added|
|2000 -||Charter Member Great Plains Athletic Association (GPAC)|
|2001 -||Mount Marty College became a wireless, laptop campus|
|2003 -||Scholastica Learning Center/Cyber Cafe/Library opened on Yankton campus|
|2005 -||Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA) added|
|2007 -||New Athletic Track - Joint venture with Yankton Public Schools|
|2007 -||New Baseball Stadium - Joint venture with Yankton Baseball Association|
|2008 -||New location facility opened in Watertown|
|2010 -||New Anesthesia Program/Sioux Falls location facilities opened|
|2010 -||New Soccer Fields - Joint venture with the National Field Archery Association/Foundation|