Graduates of this program, after successfully completing national boards, are qualified to work in every area of anesthesia as clinical practitioners, researchers, administrators, and educators throughout the United States and in the armed forces.
Each individual is a being with inherent value deserving respect and consideration. This theme is emphasized throughout the curriculum as issues of research, technology and values are discussed.
The Nurse Anesthesia program was preceded by the diploma program at Sacred Heart Hospital (Yankton) in 1942 and the baccalaureate program at Mount Marty College initiated in 1971. It was upgraded to a Master's program in 1983.
This 30-month program leads to a Master of Science degree is divided into two-phases. The program includes an initial didactic phase of 11 months, and a clinical phase lasting 19 months. The first semester is 100% didactic. The second and third semesters are 95% didactic and 5% clinical. The remaining semesters (19 months) are 95% clinical and 5% didactic . This program exceeds in courses, hours and techniques required by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs.
The didactic classes are typically held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays leaving the other days open for independent or group study and human patient simulation laboratory activity. In regards to the clinical phase, students are assigned by a matching process to one of eleven primary affiliations. Most students spend four to twelve weeks at a secondary site(s) for a specialty rotation. Some clinical assignments involve rotation to different facilities.
Within the framework of the Mount Marty College Mission Statement, we as faculty and staff strive to provide quality education within the nurse anesthesia program, promoting personal growth, professional commitment, and service to the community. We believe that we serve, though the vehicle of the nurse anesthesia profession, all God's people. We strive to integrate the Mount Marty College core values of Awareness of God, Hospitality, Community, and Life Long Learning into our lives and into the nurse anesthesia program.
The mission of the Nurse Anesthesia Program is to prepare the next generation of advanced practice nursing professionals committed to excellence in clinical care, advancing the profession, and service to the human community.
The overall objective is the development of nurse anesthetists capable of safe anesthetic management throughout a patient's perioperative period. Such practitioners must be able to perform without constant supervision and possess consultative, research, and clinical skills.
The graduate-level Nurse Anesthesia Program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education (CHEA) and the U.S. Department of Education (USDE).
Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs
222 S. Prospect Ave.
Park Ridge, IL 60068
The program's next review by the COA is scheduled for 2014. Additional accreditation information is available on the council's List of Recognized Programs.
Minnesota State Registration
The following disclosure is provided in accordance with Minnesota Statute 136A.67: "Mount Marty College is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions."
- Relevance: All classroom instruction is provided by nurse anesthetists.
- Experience: Faculty average more than 25 years' experience as nurse anesthetists and all full-time faculty have earned doctoral degrees.
- Simulation: Use of high fidelity simulation throughout the first year of the program reinforces classroom instruction and prepares the student for clinical practice.
- Flexible: Clinical positions are determined through a personalized matching process.
- Variety of Experiences: All types of techniques and cases, for patients of all ages, are available to the student in either primary affiliation or specialty rotation.
- Cohort Program: Students develop student study groups and networks through the cohort system.
Traits of Competitive Applicants
- Two or more years in a critical care unit (ICU, CCU, SICU, MICU, NICU, PICU) within the last three years.
- Specialty certification such as CCRN
- Experience as a preceptor or ability to assume charge position duties on a given shift.
- Complete application satisfying admission requirements.
- Service to the community, church or nursing unit.
- Have a good sense of "self."
- Commitment to the nursing profession.
- Knowledge of the role of a nurse anesthetist through a shadowing experience.
Program & Admissions Information
Nurse Anesthesia Program Office
5001 W. 41st Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57106