History

Martin Marty became bishop of Dakota Territory in the 1870s and recruited the Sisters of Mercy to start a girls’ school at Yankton. The first effort faltered, but in 1887 Bishop Marty asked the Benedictine Sisters to resurrect the convent on the hill above the Missouri River. Soon they began a nursing school and an academy for high school girls.

Mother Jerome Schmitt, a pioneer educator, and her fellow sisters started Mount Marty College in 1936, during the worst years of the Great Depression and Dust Bowl. Our mission has evolved to fit the times. It was a junior college for women in the early years. The first B.A. and B.S. degrees were awarded in 1951. MMC became coeducational in 1969. Associate of Arts degree programs were introduced in 1975. Graduate M.S. degrees were awarded in 1983 and M.A. diplomas followed in 1999.

We have added numerous sports programs for men and women, as well as many other extra-curricular endeavors.

But our mission and culture remains: to be an excellent community of learning — a pleasant and peaceful place to be sure, but always aspiring to help every student develop the discipline, skills and character to succeed in his or her chosen path of service to mankind.

Important Dates in MMC History

Change is a hallmark of every successful college. As you can see from this timeline, our campus community has always embraced progress and improvements. We treasure and respect our heritage by always searching for new and better ways to serve.

1905

Sacred Heart School of Nursing founded at Sacred Heart Hospital

1922

Mount Marty Academy opened

1935

Cornerstone of Bede Hall laid

1936

Mount Marty Junior College began on July 3 with the teaching of physics

1950

Bishop Marty Chapel consecrated

1951

Mount Marty College became a four-year baccalaureate degree granting institution

1955

Whitby Hall and Marian Auditorium opened

1961

MMC received North Central Association accreditation

1964

Sacred Heart School of Nursing closed; nursing students enrolled in MMC’s four-year Baccalaureate nursing program

1966

Corbey Hall opened

1966

Mount Marty High School moved to the new building (Old Library Building)

1967

First meeting of the Board of Trustees for the newly incorporated MMC

1967

Roncalli Center completed and opened

1969

Mount Marty High School closed

1969

MMC became coeducational

1971

MMC became the first school in the nation to offer a baccalaureate degree in anesthesia

1972

Branch location opened at Harmony Hill Education Center, Watertown, S.D.

1981

New Sacred Heart Hospital completed

1983

Master Degree program started at Mount Marty in anesthesia

1988

New Laddie E. Cimpl Arena completed

1989

MMC began offering courses at the Yankton Federal Prison Camp at the site of former Yankton College

1991

MMC enrollment goes over 1000 for the first time

1997

Master's Degree Pastoral Ministries added

2000

Charter Member Great Plains Athletic Association (GPAC)

2001

MMC became a wireless, laptop campus

2003

Scholastica Learning Center/Cyber Cafe/Library opened on Yankton campus

2005

Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA) added

2007

New Athletic Track - Joint venture with Yankton Public Schools

2007

New Baseball Stadium - Joint venture with Yankton Baseball Association

2008

New location facility opened in Watertown

2010

New Anesthesia Program/Sioux Falls location facilities opened

2010

New Soccer Fields - Joint venture with the National Field Archery Association/Foundation