Complaints Policy

The Division of Student Affairs will address and systematically process student complaints that it receives in a timely manner. In addition, the Code of Student Community Standards states that each Mount Marty College student has the right to initiate a complaint that may bring about an investigation and/or disciplinary action involving another member of the College academic community.

If a student has a complaint, the recommended general strategy is for that student to first contact the Office of Student Affairs or the Director at the corresponding MMC location with the issue at hand, unless there are good reasons for not doing so, such as a desire to maintain anonymity with the Department. A complaint form is available by download or in the Office of Student Affairs.

If, for any reason, a student does not want to personally or directly contact a staff member to discuss a complaint, they may contact the person in the next highest level of authority, which would commonly be the supervisor (director, dean, or vice president). The student can request an appointment to meet with the supervisor and/or send a signed written description of the issue or problem and request that their identity be kept confidential. That request will be honored unless there are over-riding reasons to do otherwise.

Advice to Students - Steps to Submitting a Formal Written Signed Complaint
1. First try to resolve your complaint informally by talking with a staff member in the department most directly connected with your complaint. The staff member may request that you provide additional documentation if necessary, or schedule an appointment to address your concern.
2. If you want to submit a formal written signed complaint, please do so with the next highest level of authority. If you are not sure who the appropriate person is, simply ask any staff member for assistance. The written signed complaint must include the following information:
  The actual complaint (be as specific as possible).
The specific outcome you are seeking.
3. The Dean of Students or designee will address the complaint with the individual in a timely basis and to the best of his/her ability. Appropriate actions and steps will be taken; if necessary, to resolve the issue for the good of the complainant and the department with the goal of service improvement.
4. If the problem remains unresolved, the Dean or staff member may refer the student to the Vice President or his/her designee.
General Information for Addressing Student Complaint from other areas
All students are taken seriously at the overall Division of Student Affairs. Students are encouraged to attempt to resolve complaints by visiting the following areas to directly resolve their concerns with the appropriate staff members.
Issues related to academic transcripts, transfer credits contact the Registrar Office.
Issues regarding room reservation and event hosting contact the Pages Bookstore.
Issues related to student activities contact the Director of Student Activities.
Issues about on-campus housing (residence halls/apartments). Generally, if a student has a complaint they should bring it to the attention of their Residence Adviser (RA) in the Residence Halls. If there is a concern about the Hall Director, students can speak with the Dean of Students.