Mother Jerome Schmitt Presidential Scholarship
This award is a FULL-TUITION SCHOLARSHIP granted for one academic year to a Yankton campus undergraduate student who will be a senior in Fall 2018 and will graduate in May or August of 2019. It is non-renewable.
The Presidential Scholarship value is the cost of tuition at Mount Marty College for the year it is granted up to 18 credit hours each semester. This Presidential Scholarship includes a requirement that the recipient actively participate in a college recognized club, organization or activity. Campus involvement is one of the determining factors for the recipient of the Mother Jerome Schmitt Presidential Scholarship. The recipient of this premier scholarship is expected to not only continue their involvement in current activities, but also to heighten their involvement in activities campus wide. The recipient is chosen by the members of the Mother Jerome Schmitt Committee on the basis of this special application.
Mother Jerome Schmitt served as the first president of Mount Marty College from 1936-1957. Mother Jerome provided the leadership for building the Bishop Marty Chapel, Whitby Hall, Marian Auditorium, and the construction of a new convent. After serving as prioress for 29 years, Mother Jerome taught German at MMC, worked in pastoral care and was a tutor at the college. In 1980 Mother Jerome was named Citizen of the Year for Yankton. She was a valiant, strong woman respected and admired by people all over the state.
Mother Jerome Schmitt Scholarship Instructions/Checklist
- Print off the Verification of Requirements form and bring to VPAA and Dean of the College (Dr. Jane Wood) in Bede 229 for verification.
- Provide faculty or staff members with Recommendation form (pdf). or online link to recommendation form.
- Follow up with persons providing recommendations prior to deadline to ensure they are submitted before the closing date.
- If both are faculty recommendations make sure they are from different departments.
- Deliver completed application packet to the Academic Affairs Office, Bede 229, no later than 5:00 pm, February 9, 2018.